Nothing quite comforts like a rustic baked pie on a cold and dreary winter day. Something magical seems to happen to the dusted strawberries and butter in this pie when it hits the oven. The strawberries melt into delicious bites of tender juiciness and the most beautiful oozy strawberry sauce is created.
My buttery and crumbly gluten free shortcrust pastry perfectly mops up the warm sweet strawberry juices in this pie. Serve with lashings of cream for extra naughtiness!
- 1kg strawberries, halved
- 1 cup caster sugar
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- 3 tbs plain gluten free flour
- 2 tbs butter, chopped
- Gluten Free Shortcrust Pastry
- Beaten egg for brushing
- Demerara sugar for sprinkling
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- To make the filling, combine dry ingredients in a bowl then add strawberries.
- Roll out each pastry disc between two sheets of baking paper dusted with flour. Place one rolled pastry sheet on the base of a round pie dish. Cut other pastry disc into long strips with pastry cutter for lattice topping.
- Spoon the filling into pie dish and scatter butter on top.
- Top with pastry strips in lattice pattern. Brush with egg wash then sprinkle over demerara sugar.
- Bake in oven for 50 minutes until golden. Cool slightly before serving.