If you are looking for a decadent dessert with maximum visual appeal and wow factor you can’t go past a crispy chocolate eclair. I have reinvented this French classic with my light and airy gluten free choux pastry (don’t be afraid it is very achievable and looks harder than it is) , oozy espresso cream and a sprinkling of chopped toffee hazelnuts to really set tongues wagging. If you like your coffee extra strong feel free to add an additional shot of espresso to the whipped cream.
Ensure you read my gluten free choux pastry tips before you start to help you achieve the correct consistency and texture in your dough. Correct temperature and mixing times will play a vital role in the success of your pastry.
Eclairs are so versatile. You can garnish them with any flavour or texture and even play with savoury versions. Pipe the cream just before serving to ensure the pastry stays crispy because pastry absorbs moisture from the filling. I wouldn’t worry to much about them hanging around though as they will quickly vanish, or as the French put it disparaitrait par magie!
- Gluten Free Choux Pastry
- Toffee Hazelnuts
- 3 tbs caster sugar
- 100g hazelnuts
- Espresso Cream
- 250ml thickened cream
- 60g icing sugar, sifted
- 30mL cooled espresso
- 100g 70% cocoa dark chocolate, melted
- Prepare toffee hazelnuts by melting sugar over low heat in a frypan. Slightly agitate and swirl the pan to promote even melting and browning. Once sugar has dissolved toss in hazelnuts. Pour mixture onto baking paper to cool. Chop hazelnuts.
- Prepare espresso cream by whisking cream, icing sugar and cooled espresso until soft peaks form.
- To assemble eclairs separate pastry strips into two groups. Pipe espresso cream on the flat side of one group and dip the top of the other group in melted chocolate. Sandwich the two pastries together and sprinkle with hazelnuts. Serve immediately.
- Prepare toffee hazelnuts as per conventional method.
- Prepare espresso cream by mixing cream, icing sugar and cooled espresso with butterfly insert 15 sec/speed 3.5 or until soft peaks form.
- To assemble eclairs separate pastry strips into two groups. Pipe espresso cream on the flat side of one group and dip the top of the other group in melted chocolate. Sandwich the two pastries together and sprinkle hazelnuts. Serve immediately.