This low carb gluten free Asian salad features an explosion of interesting flavours and textures. High in protein and Omega 3 fatty acids it is delicious, healthy and nutritious. Smoked trout will keep unopened in the fridge for about a month so it is a great healthy protein to have on hand as it is very high in essential vitamins and minerals.
Feel free to replace trout with other proteins in this salad. It also works beautifully with tuna, lean chicken, crunchy pork and sliced beef. Toasting the sesame seeds enhances their flavour and adds a fragrant crispy crunch to the salad so make sure you don’t skip this step.
Tamari is a gluten free soy sauce widely available in supermarkets and health food stores. Most people are unaware that soy sauce actually contains wheat starch so you must avoid it if you are following a gluten free diet. Tamari has a more intense flavour when compared to wheat based soy sauce so you don’t need to use as much when substituting for soy sauce in recipes. Look for a high quality organic brand such as Spiral Tamari sauce produced by Australian company Spiral foods, this is my brand of choice.
- 1 whole smoked Ocean Trout, deboned and flaked
- 1 cup green cabbage, shredded
- 1 cup cos leaves, shredded
- 1 small carrot, julienne
- 2 spring onions, thinly sliced
- ½ cup coriander leaves, roughly chopped
- 2 tsp sesame seeds, toasted
- 2 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 tsp tamari
- Combine all shredded salad ingredients in a bowl or place roughly chopped salad ingredients in Thermomix and chop 3 sec/speed 4. Repeat if necessary.
- Whisk together the olive oil, lime juice and tamari.
- Pour dressing over salad and stir to combine.
- Place flaked trout on top, scatter with extra coriander and spring onions to serve.
Leave a Reply